Nice, cool, crisp… Lettuce wraps! This is our summer go to.
There are some great pluses to eating a lettuce wrap and skipping the burger. An average burger contains around 53 grams of carbs, mainly from the bun, and a lettuce wrap contains less than 3 grams of carbs. Additionally, you get the great benefits of the vitamins and minerals from the lettuce.
You can substitute the meat for other kinds (ie. beef, chicken, pork, etc).
Makes about 4 servings.
- One package of ground turkey (about 12oz)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 6-ounce can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- Sriracha sauce (desired amount)
- Hoisin sauce (desired amount)
- 8 to 12 large buttercup lettuce leaves, cleaned and dry
- Shredded carrots, for serving
- Bean sprouts, for serving
- Start by making the filling first.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-heat and cook the ground turkey until no longer pink.
- Add the green onions, garlic, water chestnuts, onion and cook until softened.
- Put in soy sauce, salt, pepper. Cook for one minute and put the sesame oil on top. Remove from heat.
- Serve the turkey mixture with the butter cup lettuce leaves, drizzling sauce and vegetables for lettuce wrap assembly.
- Lastly, ENJOY and be HAPPY! =D