I love ordering sweet potato fries when I am out. It has that salty sweet combo that just hits the spot. These fries are a great snack and nutritious too!
According to the sweet potato website (www.sweetpotatoes.com), here are the nutritional facts about sweet potatoes:
- high in Beta Carotene and vitamins E and C.
- good source of fiber when eaten with the skin on.
- offer other nutrients such as potassium, iron and vitamin B-6
- excellent way to eat healthy! They are fat-free and cholesterol-free.
- loaded with vitamins A, C and E – antioxidants that can help prevent heart disease and cancer, bolster the immune system and even slow aging by promoting good vision and healthy skin. They have been recently reclassified as an “antidiabetic” food. They are anti-inflammatory and can protect against emphysema.
- high in Beta Carotene. They are an excellent source of copper, manganese, potassium, iron and vitamin B-6.
- excellent accompaniments to poultry, pork, beef, lamb or seafood.
- can also be substituted in virtually any recipe that calls for apples, squash or white potatoes.
Makes enough for 3 people.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- a dash of corn starch (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt, pepper, and paprika.
- cayenne pepper (optional, if you want a little kick to it)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into long pieces (see photo). Try to cut them similarly so they bake evenly.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss them all in and add the oil and corn starch, enough to lightly coat the fries.
- 4. Season them with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, cayenne pepper…all according to desired amount. Some like less of one thing and more of the other. Totally up to you!
- Make sure the fries are evenly coated.
- Pour and spread them out evenly on a non-stick baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip fries with a spatula and bake for another 10-15 minutes until crispy.
- Don’t worry if edges are slightly brown, it’ll taste more like they are caramelized than burnt.
- ENJOY and be HAPPY! =D