Man oh man…was in the middle of typing up this recipe and ready to post when my computer crashed and all got deleted. Sorry it took so long to get this up. I’m finally now finding time to get it done and excited to share with you all. I usually don’t eat butternut squash to be honest. I always used to think they were just for babies and I mean infants. haha. I wanted to try this and see if our family would enjoy a new venture. And they did! Woohoo! So here it goes….
Makes about 4 servings.
- 1 Butternut Squash, cut in half (Gotta use all your strength and a good big, heavy knife to do this task..took me a good minute!)
- 1 pound ground turkey (can also use ground chicken or beef)
- 5-6 slices of bacon (depends how much bacon you want)
- 1 yellow onion, diced (save 1/2 on side)
- 2 stalks of green onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp of cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Using a Pyrex dish, place squash face down with 1/2 in of water and bake for 30 min.
- While squash is baking, cook the bacon until crispy and set aside. Keep the bacon grease!
- Add the onions to pan and cook for a minute and then add your ground meat of choice.
- Season the mix with salt, pepper, cinnamon (sounds weird, but taste great!)
- Take out and place in large bowl.
- Take squash out of oven and scrape out a little bit of squash, enough to be able to fill it with the yummy goodness.
- Crumble the bacon and add to the bowl of meat and onion.
- Mix well with the squash as well and then fill the squash with mix and place back in oven for 20 min on 350F.
- Next, use the leftover onion and place in pan to caramelize with the balsamic vinegar.
- Take squashes out of oven and place your caramelized onion and green onion on top.
- If you feel you like you need more balsamic vinegar, feel free to just add on top as well.
- ENJOY and be HAPPY! =D